|Legal Basis of Creation:|
|Date of Ratification / Plebiscite:|
|No. of Registered Voters:||779|
|No. of Precincts:|
|Land Area (in hectares)||267.2036 has.|
|Major Economic||Agricultural, Fishing|
|A. External Sources|
|Internal Revenue Allotment||Php 1,522,898.00|
|B. Local Sources|
|RPT Share||Php 30,000.00|
|Fees & Charges||Php 3,500.00|
|Total Income||Php 1,558,398.00|
|No. of Female||777|
|No. of Male||818|
|No. of Families||426|
|No. of Households||336|
|No. of Labor Force|
|No. of Unemployed|
|Basic Utilities / Services|
|Largest Power Supply Distributor||Electric Cooperative|
|Major Water Supply Level of Households||Water supplied by wells/spring in the brgy., Water supplied through water faucets in individual households|
|No. of Households with access to potable water supply||336|
|Existing Means of Transportation||Jeep, Private Vehicle, Tricycle, Motorcycle, Banca|
|Existing Means of Communication||Mobile phone|
|Awards / Recognition received by the barangay or barangay officials|
According to the Book of Records of “Historica Geografica y Estadistica de Filipinas” by Agustin de la Cavada Mendez de Vega, “Navalas Coast is full of Sand and Coral Reefs/rocks, much battered by big waves”. The name of the place was originated from the word “sand” or in dialect “balas”– a type of soil that made-up the surrounding especially the coastal area. Naturally, the “sandy place” was popularly called in dialect as “Mabalas”, which due to the influence of the Spaniards, lately spelled as “Navalas”. The coral reefs/rocks were made into slabs used as significant materials in the construction of the century old Hispanic Church called Navalas Parochial Church.
Fr. Juan Fernandez, a priest in his book “Apuntes Historicos del Las Islas de Panay” wrote a brief but descripted account of Guimaras and its Topography. This account is also contained in “Archivo Historico Agustino Y Boletin Official”.
During the evangelization of Panay, Fernandez wrote: “their existed villages in the island of Himal-Us (Guimaras)”. In 1748, the island was under the jurisdiction of Dumangas until 1751 when the Agustinians ceded it to the Jesuits. In 1768, the Dominicans took over until 1773 and formed it as sub-parish of loilo. The Navalas Church then was constructed and served its constituents and it was considered as the most convenient location that it faces directly to Dumangas.
Evidently, it happened wherein the priest was captured and enslaved by the raiding Moros. They punished him and poured a hot rice porridge over his hands. Most of the church followers quickly escaped to free themselves from the bandits and went to nearby Mount Kasarig. Before he was carried to Mindanao, the priest coursed the church as he struck his hand on the wall leaving its mark.
The church called its faithful or made a signal through a bell made of silver and gold alloy with a diameter of one meter long. This bell rung so loud and clear that the faithful living in the far-flung area was able to hear it. The same bell signals the arrival of Moro raiders. The Muslims in turn took the bell and threw it into the sea, the site believed or assumed to be near the Siete Picados. In 1988, it was reported that Muslim divers have tried to retrieve the bell.
To help the priest assigned in Navalas, Don Miguel Jayme donated a portion of land located in Barrio Tanag. The agricultural products of the particular land were used to augment the daily needs of the priest.
Based on the Record of Catholic Directory of the Philippines, Barangay Navalas was founded as Barrio Navalas in the year 1857. The author, Agustin de Vega, wrote that, “When the Arevalo Gobernadorcillo Juan Garcia Sierra succeeded in driving the Moros away, Barrio Navalas in the Island of Himal-us (Guimaras) became a refuge center of Moro Bandits/Pirates led by two muslim leaders of expedition to Panay namely Sali and Silungan who combined their forces of 6000 men, and later led by Dallan Bakang who frequently attack Panay Island particularly Barrio Dumangas every Friday. Dallan Bakang planned to raid the area until the year 1825. But, in the year 1763, a courageous woman named “Petra of Pitay” encountered the Muslim pirate for a fight and victoriously won. On the other hand, when they knew of their defeat, they immediately leave the area and until then, they never came back again.
A temporary church was already existed and situated near the coral belfry and the Acasia Tree. However, a coral-made church was constructed by the villagers thru “dagyao” system while Dr. David Evangelista and his wife Agapita Javellana were the primary benefactors, therefore, they were given the honor to select the church’ patron saint, and they have chosen St Isidore- the farmer.
The coral slabs and other materials used during the construction were bartered for “patadyong” and other clothing materials to churchgoers in order to encourage them to continue going to church, to invite others to join and go to church and, to increase the number of the faithful.
Historical accounts particularly the physical markers served as evidence- the inscription written on the wall: “El fundador Para Mayor Honor Y Gloria De Dios Y lo 1880 termino 1885”.